When we upgraded to v4.30 MAS90 and MAS200 on one work station the PDF converter driver would not install. The install log said “Installing Amyuni PDF printer driver error code 183. Cannot create a file when that file already exists.” After a lot of research I have determined that the only way to correct this message is to do the following:
1. Go into the Control Panel
2. Go into the Printer/Faxes folder.
3. Delete ALL printers or faxes present.
4. Open regedit (e.g. click Start, Run, regedit and press Enter)
5. Backup the Registry.
6. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers
7. Under this key, there will be the keys Version-2 and Version-3 (one or the other of these may be absent – not a problem). The sub-keys under these contain the printer driver configuration information. Delete all the sub-keys inside Version-2 and Version-3, but not these keys themselves.
8. Close the Registry.
9. Open Windows Explorer
10. Navigate to %systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86
11. Inside w32x86, there will be folders with the names 2 and 3 (one or more of these may be absent – not a problem). Delete all of the files and sub-folders in each of the 2 and 3 folders, but not the folders themselves. Inside w32x86, there may be other folders with names starting with “hewlett_packard”, “hphp” or something else; delete these folders also.
12. Start MAS
13. Go to File,Run and type in PL_AdvanceOptions_Ui.
14. Click OK
15. Install converter.
Note that before step 9 you might want to open a command prompt window and stop the print spooler with “net stop spooler” and then start it after step 11 with “net start spooler” at the command prompt. Note that you would have to re-install all printers. We have a network script that installs printers so all the user had to do was reboot his work station.
Thanks to Louie Araiza of Safety Vision L.P. for this tip!
© 2009, Mark Chinsky. All rights reserved.